The Adoration of the Magi
The lower left hand corner of the paintings is Leonardo painting in himself looking away and outside of the rest of the image.
- Oil (underpainting) on wood panel
- 240 × 250 cm, 96 × 97 in
- Florence, Uffizi
This was one of Leonardo’s first commissions by the Augustinian monks of San Donato a Scopeto in Florence. Although Leonardo didn’t finish it and left for Milan, it is still considered a masterpiece and has been in the Uffizi since 1670. Leonardo sketched some pre-drawings that show various ideas he was playing around with before deciding on an almost square panel. The painting depicts the biblical story of the “Adoration of the Magi” when the three wise men come to visit the newly born Jesus. Some parts of the painting seem to be covered by other artists and is undergoing a restoration attempt (2012-2014)
See in Super HD